UAE updates new rules for passport, Emirates ID photograph
New standards have been announced for photographs required for issuance and renewal of passport and Emirates ID
The Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security (ICP) has announced updated standards for inserting personal photographs for issuance and renewal of passport and Emirates ID.
The new standards are required to enable acceptance of photographs on the smart system and will be applicable to all ages.
For photographs to be accepted via the smart systems, the following criteria must be met:
- Images must be high quality, recent, coloured and no older than six months.
- Dimensions of the image must be 35-40mm.
- Images need to have a white background.
- Expressions must be neutral and not exaggerated.
- Position needs to be parallel to the photographic lens without any tilt.
- Eyes should be open towards the camera without any coloured lenses.
- Glasses are permitted provided it does not obscure eyes or reflect light.
- Clothing must be in accordance with the official UAE dress (for citizens).
- Head covering is permitted in line with national dress or religious beliefs.
- Resolution of the image needs to be 600dpi without ink traces or shrinkage.
- Any images subject to enhancements or modifications by an image editing software will not be permitted.